Thursday, August 16, 2007

My Life as JERRY MAGUIRE

"You had me at hello...."


I've watched this more times than any other film.

It's my numero uno movie on my profiles
on Friendster, Multiply, Blogspot, MySpace, and now, Facebook.




Despite having copies of the movie
on VHS, VCD, and even the Special Edition DVD,
I still get hooked and end up watching it 'til the very end
whenever I catch it on HBO.





"You complete me..."


When this Cameron Crowe classic was first shown
in MetroManila theaters back in early 1997,

I remember that both my then-GF and I were crying so much
even after the closing credits,
that we had to stay in our seats and use Visine
so that we could walk out without looking as if we had sore eyes.

Jerry Maguire +
Dorothy Boyd
(Renee Zellweger)
= Best Date Movie Ever!






The very next night,
I invited three of my best friends in the world,
the good doctors Palugod, Isip, and Rebosa,
to watch it with me,
and after the movie ended,
none of us could look each other in the (weeping) eye.
We knew that we had to get drunk immediately to be able to say
"I Love You, Pare!" to each other.

Jerry Maguire +
Rod Tidwell
(Cuba Gooding Jr.) +
Ray Boyd
(Jonathan Lipnicki)
= Best Male Bonding Movie Ever!!!





"Show me the money!!!"

From 1997 to 2001,
I displayed the poster below
in my office in STI.

Sure enough,
like Jerry Maguire,
I reached a crossroads in my career,
and out of principle, and loyalty to my mentor,
I "retired early" fromn the company;

and much like Jerry and his goldfish in the ziploc bag,

I left clutching my precious movie poster.

"Everybody loved him,
Everybody disappeared"
indeed...




and again,
like Jerry Maguire,
my STI story has an absolutely absurd happy ending:

in 2006,
I returned to the STI Network


to become the COO of its fastest-growing subsidiary,
the Universal Worker Nurse Review and English Proficiency Centers
.





"Great at friendship, bad at intimacy..."


Like Jerry Maguire,
I've got this "little black book",
and all the contacts there would probably say something
akin to the quote above:
"Spanky would make an excellent father, but a lousy husband."

Holy Sh*t!!!
Am I that hopeless romantically?


Nahhhh....
I don't think so.

Finally,
again like Jerry (!),
I'd like to think that
there's a Dorothy Boyd out there somewhere,
who will be the key character that will give a happy ending
to this story of cinematic parallels. ",


THE END



fade out


roll closing credits





(okay, you can wipe your eyes now!)










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Manila Boy's readers are from:
Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!