Sunday, May 06, 2007

The SNOBs of SHANGRI-LA

No, NOT us--
my favorite inaanak Random Ram and myself.


I'm referring to the imperialist snobs who operate the mall,
the Shang Cineplex,
and the "Shang Cinebar".

I've already taken issue against the "pay toilets"
that are in closest proximity to "THE LEDGE" resto row.

I don't see the twisted logic behind having patrons
pay additional money just to use the damn restrooms.

Look, we already pay good money to enjoy the not inexpensive
establishments here, and we do enjoy the ambience and convenience.

The least we should expect is to have clean facilities at our disposal,
and not have to dig into our pockets for coins for the "Pee Tax".

If I spend a couple of hours at The Ledge,
having a meal at Cyma then coffee at Starbucks,
spending at least P500 even before the P180 for the movie,

doesn't that entitle me, at the very least,
to free use of Shang's version of VAT,
the Value Added Toilets?



I understand;
the Shangri-La Plaza management wants to keep the 6th level exclusive,

and keep out the Hoi Polloi,
specially those drifting in from (eeek!) EDSA Central and the (yikes!) MRT.


But the mall management should also understand that
in the 13 or so years that it has been open,

they have already succeeded in instituting a Caste System:
the "parking" class hangs out in Rustan's, The Ledge,
and levels 2-6;

the commuting class, at Crossings, the basement food court,
the ground floor, and obviously, the MRT access point.


Am I right,
or am I right?


This diatribe was brought about by THE STARBUCKS INCIDENT.

Random Ram and I were there to watch a 9pm showing
of Spider-Man 3 on Opening Day.

Since we knew it was a 2 and 1/2 hour movie,
we wanted a lot of caffeine,
and so we got the largest Banana Fraps
to sip while watching Spidey swing on his webs,

and sauntered over to theater 2,
where we were rudely surprised by the sign below:



Our Starbucks Banana Frappuccinos were contraband!

Random Ram and I had an impeachment trial-worthy debate
with the Shang Cineplex staff,
who, to their credit, were friendly but firm.

After much pleading and arguments,
we all agreed on a compromise worthy of King Solomon:


WE COULD BRING IN OUR STARBUCKS CUPS;
PROVIDED...

WE DRINK UP ALL THE ACTUAL COFFEE CONTENT
BEFORE ENTERING THE THEATER,

SO THAT WE COULD STILL SIP OUR STARBUCKS
WHILE WATCHING THE MOVIE,

ALBEIT,
JUST THE VAGUELY BANANA-FLAVORED SLOWLY MELTING ICE.



needless to say,
it was NOT the high point of my debating history,

we all went a little Bananas,

and we did suffer from Brain Freeze after chugging down the fraps,
but I still feel that Ram and I won a small victory...



and yes,
we certainly enjoyed our watery Starbucks beverages
as we watched Peter Parker conquer his inner Venoms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Manila Boy's readers are from:
Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!