Wednesday, September 12, 2007

SHAKESPEARE ON LOVE

This box imposeth uponst me
by those scalawags of skycable

givest no discernible betterment
on the images that play on my screen.

Yet,
the programme schedules it doth provide,

is a boon,
nay, a blessing by which I can abide.



TRANSLATION:

Thanks to that largely unnecessary digital cable box,
I was able to watch one of my favorite movies on HBO:




It was a good night for just vegging out in front of the TV;

there was this veteran seaman named Sam
on Kapamilya Deal or No Deal,

who was faced with the ultimate dealbreaking dillema
when there were only two briefcases left:

PISO or P3,000,000??!?!?!

Thankfully,
he made the right choice
and accepted the Banker's offer.

His briefcase was revealed to have a measly peso,
and Sam the Man walked away with a cool P999,999!!!

I almost had to wipe away a tear of joy.
Call me "Mr. Empathy"...



After that,
I just had to (go!) share my emphatic euphoria,
so I made my likeable last call of the day,



then settled back to the tube,
and thanks to that digital schedule advisory,
saw the final half of 1998's Best Picture Oscar winner,
Shakespeare In Love.

This is one of the first movies I got on DVD back in 2001,
and one of the (very) few originals
scattered among my thousands of dibidis.

The "subtitle" feature on DVD
is perfect for Ye Olde English spoken by the characters,
and it allowed me to catch many more
of the allusions to numerous other plays by Old Will,
as well as to fully appreciate
the alluring wit of the screenplay,

and most of all,
the sublime script by Shakespeare himself:

"Look, love,
what envious streaks
do lace the severing clouds in yonder east.


Night's candles are burnt out,
and jocund day stands tiptoe on the misty mountain tops.


I must be gone and live, or stay and die."



PINOY TRANSLATION:
"Darling! Syet, inumaga na tayo!
Takas na ko kung hindi patay ako sa erpats mo!!!"




Ánd that's exactly why I prefer Shakespeare on Love!!!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Manila Boy's readers are from:
Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!