Friday, February 23, 2007

Philippine Political ADobo

While I'm truly happy with my career as an Educator (naks!),
I still truly am a frustrated Advertising Man.

Which is exactly why I savor
my involvement with these two organizations:




a couple of weeks ago,
I hosted the Induction Ceremonies of the PANA,
the Philippine Association of National Advertisers,

and last night,
I emceed the Induction Ceremonies of the ADBOARD,
where I used to sit as a member of the ACRC,
the Advertising Content and Regulation Committee.





I enjoy hosting these events for PANA and ADBOARD,
as it provides me continuing education on the latest
on the World of Advertising, Marketing, and Communications.

While I defer my usual TF for TY (ubo, ubo!),
I really don't mind at all.

I even got to take home a copy of the 1st Anniversary issue
of
ADOBO, the Philippine AD industry's bible.



Last night,
the keynote speech was delivered by
a True Titan of Philippine Advertising,
the legendary HERMINIO "Minyong" ORDONEZ,
The Man behind the great campaigns that made household names
of products as diverse as TIDE to BENADRYL,
and CHICKLETS to JOLLIBEE.

His speech reflected on the Past,
and considered the Future of Philippine Advertising;
it gained deeper resonance
when I considered that Mr. Ordonez could have been
talking of Philippine Politics as well.

"Ka Minyong" talked about how, in the Golden Days,
advertisers built BRANDS,
products & services with strong equity
and even stronger consumer trust.
Brands that lasted for generations.

These days,
so much of advertising seem like flash-bang grenades;
they make a lot of noise, dazzle you a bit too much,
but are definitely annoying;
they stun you, and not in a good way.
They disappear in a flash,
and most are ultimately forgettable.



Check out the dude in the indian headdress above.

He's certainly confused,
and afflicted with a severe case of hubris.

From underwear model to Senator of the Republic.



It's sad, really.

In the pre-Martial Law Senate,
we had politicians who built strong equity,
translated into even stronger consumer, or voter trust;

think TANADA, RECTO, SALONGA, AQUINO, ROXAS, QUEZON, OSMENA,
and yes, during his seemingly uncorrupted youth, MARCOS.

They were BRANDS.
To this very day,
you can sell their grandchildren to the Philippine voting public
on the basis of their surnames alone.



nowadays,
we have ESTRADA, LAPID, REVILLA,
and maybe even MONTANO and GOMEZ.

Action Stars all,
the Senate versions of Flash-Bang Grenades.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Manila Boy's readers are from:
Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!