Sunday, February 15, 2009

TATTOOED ON MY MIND


Do you have a list of your
TOP TEN FAVORITE BOOKS?

The Constant Reader that I am,
of course, I have one.


Among my favorites are:
Total Eclipse by Elizabeth Rigbey,
The Lost Horizon by James Hilton,
The Stand by Stephen King,
The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer,


and perhaps my #1 novel ever,

The Summer of Katya by Trevanian.



Those would have to be my Top 5;
I've read each of those at least thrice!

However, a couple of books in #s 6-10
are now in grave danger of being
knocked out of the charts,

thanks to these two instant classics:


"Accidents ambush the unsuspecting,
often violently, just like love."

When a books's first sentence is that good,
I'm hooked, I surrender, I give in.

It's about a man, horribly burned in a car accident,
who meets a woman who sculpts gargoyles for a living.
He's a human barbecue, and she seems to be bonkers.
It's a new millenium version of The English Patient,

except for the fact that...

apparently, the two have been lovers for 700 years.


Find out more about The Gargoyle on amazon.com,
and rush to get one of the few remaining copies
at your favorite Fully Booked branch.

Abre Los Ojos!






My other new "Top 10 Books Ever" bet,
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
is as different from The Gargoyle

as an Illuminated Manuscript is from
an Amazon Kindle e-book reading device,

yet, oddly enough,
they are quite similar as well:


both books have unique and unforgettable
female protagonists who are both great at translating codes,
and both of them have wonderful names---
Marianne Engel in "Gargoyle", and
Lisbeth Salander in "Dragon";

both books feature damned and damaged men
who find themselves inexplicably, inevitably drawn
to the women mentioned above;


and

both books contain parallel storylines
occuring in the present and in the past.




Find Both Books.
Buy Both Books.
Love Both Books.



Open Your Eyes!









4 Comments:

Blogger EngrMoks said...

Spank, par where can I buy those books?
I'm a book lover, a hug reader...i love reading books...i think this two books are interestin t read.. Par bakit wala ka man lang review resa 2 libro na ito kung anu ba sya..fiction o non fiction? Please give me a hint how interesting this books are..
thanks!

February 16, 2009 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

LOST HORIZON. OMIGOD.

February 17, 2009 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger EngrMoks said...

Pare , I do not know if you have already received the Honest Scrap award. I'm passing it to you. This blogsite especially deserves it. Please drop by my page and read my post regarding that.

Congrats Pare!

Sherwin aka MOkONG

February 17, 2009 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger Noelle Q. de Jesus said...

Ay naku Trevanian. Tigilan mo na ako. Once upon a time 22 years ago, I gave the Tanman The Great Gatsby. Sabi niya, "It's okay." Then he passed me Katya. Sabi ko, "It's okay." And we marvelled at our differences...

February 18, 2009 at 12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Manila Boy's readers are from:
Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!